section is not for the faint of heart, nor the meager of pocket book.
The fine cabinet is much more than a mere box for
stogies. It is a work of art, a fine piece of furniture and the bastion
serious collectors. Some of the finest cabinet humidors can be found
in tobacconist shops especially in fine hotels
in New York City or
hotels. Why would anyone want to buy a
store cigars? Besides the obvious use for tobacconist shops,
the home collector can enjoy the rewards of collecting and
aging their own premium smokes. A bigger box allows the collector
to buy larger quantities of their favorite smokes to age and
then rotate them into their current smoking lineup. [NOTE:
Site that are in BLUE
TEXT are clickable glossary terms. Click
on these if you want to learn more in-depth information about
Cabinets come in many shapes, sizes and volumes. From those that
will hold 10 boxes to walk-in types that manage hundreds of boxes.
Not just any cabinet can be used to store and age cigars. There
is a difference between grandma's china cabinet or mom's cedar
linen chest and a bigger box used for aging fine sticks.
What to Look For
- Shelves must be slotted in order to allow for a constant
and consistent internal HUMIDITY level
and disbursement of air volume. Cabinets create
many storage options.
pull out drawers for storing single cigars
and pull out shelves
- Top quality, heavy duty HARDWARE should be used for door
hinges and drawers.
- Check for a heavy-gauge SEALING MATERIAL to prevent air leakage.
- The exit point for the electronic climate control cord should
be well sealed or a flat cord should be used.
- With humidity control, check for a digital HYGROSTAT.
Further, be sure that the electronic humidifier that maintains
the relative humidity levels is rated to support the cabinet
- Temperature controlled boxes should also have digital readout.
- As with desktop humidors, look for the thickness of the outer
box wood as well as that of the Spanish cedar. In general, the
thicker, the better.
- Be sure that only high quality materials are used in the
manufacturing of the cabinet humidor. Spanish
cedar is preferred for the internal compartment, drawers and
maintains humidity levels while adding a richer,
luxuriant flavor to the cigar.
Time to move on to the next section,
Special Editions, to look at hard-to-get collectors